Navigation Menu

Monday, August 1, 2011

Shadow Puppet Theater

This past week the kids and I put together our very own Shadow Puppet Theater. I saw the idea a few months back on one of the craft blogs I enjoy looking at.

We finished our theater on Wednesday and had to wait out the entire weekend before we had a chance to use it. It was a huge success! The kids were fighting over who got to tell the story, and how long they could perform for. Titus and I were treated to a delightfully simple evening of entertainment.

The kids put together a viewing table complete with flowers that my husband and I had our date at. We sat back and enjoyed the show performed for us.

transparencies for shadow puppets
The kids were each given one transparency page they could fill with their favorite characters. They each choose some who were the good guys, and some characters that would play the villain. I simply pasted all the pictures together onto one letter size paper, printed a copy, and then traced the pictures onto the transparencies. When they were completed we used super glue to attach them to shish kabob sticks. They were simple to make, and very gratifying for the children to play with.

shadow puppet theater old sheet

We had a variety of shows put on for us. We had some silly things, some scary, and some video games reenacted. The kids loved it! My favorite part about it, the supplies in total only cost me $3.50 to make. I found a sheet at Goodwill for two dollars, I had some leftover paint I was able to use, some string to hang the theater, and the transparencies I purchased from a copy shop for 50cents a piece. It was very practical to make. I know we're going to be getting hours of entertainment out of it. We've already been planning our next showing.


The funniest show put on in the evening was done by Titus. He did voices for each character and incorporated a lot of humor and jokes. I'm not as quick at coming up with a story, so for me it's easier to write it down ahead of time. Titus was great at ad-libbing.


No show is complete without some treats. It's a great time for some popcorn or snacks! We had some leftover coconut sorbet from Ariel's Mission Passport party that we all cooled down with. It still tasted wonderful!

Coconut Sorbet

•1 cup good-quality coconut milk (not "lite")
•2/3 cup sweetened flaked coconut (baking type)
•16 oz./ 500 ml. container whipping cream
•1/4 cup sugar
•Topping: 1/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut

coconut sorbet recipe
1. Place whipping cream in your blender and blitz until you have thick whipped cream.
2. Add the coconut milk, flaked coconut, and sugar. Pulse to combine.
3. Taste-test the mixture for sweetness - if you'd like it sweeter, add a little more sugar and pulse again to combine.
4. Transfer mixture to a covered container and place in the freezer.
5. Check the sorbet after 2-3 hours - it should be frozen around the outside, but still soft inside. Transfer it back into your processor/blender and blitz 15-30 seconds, or until smooth. Return to the container and freeze until solid.
6. Remove container 30 minutes before serving.
7. To make the topping, I used my toaster oven to cook the coconut. I stirred it a few times until it was a golden brown. Sprinkle over your sorbet, and ENJOY!

The shadow puppet theater is a great help in bringing the family together for some quality time that doesn't involve or revolve around the television. I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...