Navigation Menu

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Kids Say the Darndest Things

When I was growing up I never went trick-or-treating. We always had a fall party instead. We would get candy and caramel popcorn, apples and dip, and watch movies all night. The tradition has stuck with me into my adulthood.

Now that I have my own kids we still don't celebrate Halloween. We have a fall party, eat special foods, and watch movies together snuggling under a big blanket. It's fun family time.

During this season, we are in the minority. For the past couple weeks, my youngest has been asked over and over again, "What are you going to be for Halloween?"

At first he had no idea what they were talking about. But after having the same conversation many different times, he would answer, "Nothin."

That was always acknowledged with great confusion. It seemed foreign to many people that we wouldn't be dressing up for Halloween. They would often look to me the parent, and ask, "What is he going to be?"

I always very politely responded, "We don't celebrate Halloween." The conversation would quickly be dropped, some would even apologize afraid they had offended me by asking.

I have never been offended by the question. They were giving my child special attention, and I've always appreciated their courtesy.

On Halloween, we were waiting in line for lunch at Chipotle when a gentleman asked both my boys in excitement, "What are you going to be for Halloween today?"

My oldest responded with the most pleasant voice, "We don't celebrate."

My youngest, however, got a little attitude to him and with both hands on his hips, in a loud somewhat arrogant voice, "Yeah! We don't DECORATE!!"


If I wasn't so humiliated by his rudeness, I might have laughed out loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...