Wednesday, April 19, 2017

MASH

Remember when you were young, and you would play the game of Mash with your friends? You couldn't wait to see your name next to your crush, and the perfect life would roll out before you. Or maybe your life wasn't so perfect. Maybe your husband was a trash man, and you ended up living in a shack. Or maybe you got 15 kids with the boy in your class who teases you relentlessly.

I was pretty surprised when I picked up my son from school a few days ago to find him and his best friend giggling in the back seat of the car over the game of Mash! I had no idea that game was still around! It brought back so many fond memories for me.

I'm thankful my life didn't turn out the way Mash planned for me. At least not entirely how it was planned. I keep practically everything, and I had a good laugh that I still had a story I wrote when I was 12. The story was titled A Sad Story with a Happy Ending. It had a sequel called The Good Life. I read these Mash stories aloud to my husband last night and we were laughing so hard at the innocence of my 12-year-old mind.

The past two days I have played Mash with my son 3 different times. Each time we play, he adds more details and questions to the list. It's not exciting enough to have only 4 categories. We want the game to last and be over the top funny.

My husband played the game and ended up marrying our daughter, who had 18 children for them. He was a telemarketer and lived in a shack. They had a pet hippo, and cruised around town in a tank. The stories you can make from this game are endless. So much fun!

I always love to put creativity into action. This afternoon I put together a sheet for my son to make the game easier to play. When I picked him up from school, it was sitting on his seat. He was SO EXCITED! I got to be his first victim, err I mean participant. He is now happily writing his own story about the silliness of my new life. It seems no matter how many times I play the game with my son, I can't seem to marry my husband. I'm so glad life is what we make it, and there isn't a random order of things. We get to choose.


If you've never played the game of Mash with a friend, it's so easy! You need a partner to play with.

  • Player one gives answers for each category, while Player two writes the answers down.
  • Before you can figure out how your life ends up, you must come up with a magic number. To find your magic number, Player two begins to draw a swirl. Player one closes their eyes and decides when Player two stops drawing the swirl. After stop has been called, Player two draws a line from where they started the swirl to where they ended it. Player two counts how many times the line crosses over the swirl. That is the magic number!
  • Player two counts each answer, starting with the M A S H at the top. When you get to the magic number, you cross that answer off the list. You continue counting where you left off until there is only one answer left for each category. Don't forget to count the letters of Mash separately. 
  • M stands for Mansion. A stands for Apartment. S stands for Shack. And H stands for House.

The answers you are left with are your future. Take turns with your friends. Be prepared to have lots of good laughs.

To make it even more interesting, when I played with my friends we always got to choose one answer for the other person. That way it's not all your dreams coming true. A little twist on life. We may get to make a lot of our choices, but there are still things that are out of our control.

No comments:

Post a Comment