Thursday, March 15, 2012

God's Bubble

There is something about being a mom where you will never again look at life in the same way. You will always see it through your mom glasses. What if that was my daughter? Or my son? How would I feel? How would they have felt? Life changes when you hold that tiny little baby for the first time. The world can turn into a very scary place. You no longer can be irresponsible. You always have this life that is depending on you. It's frightening!

I spent a large portion of yesterday reflecting on God's power and protection.

On Tuesday morning there was an 8 year old girl, living here in Topeka, who was first kidnapped, then raped and murdered in an apartment building. I normally don't read the news as things like this are extremely disturbing to me. My natural inclination is fear and worry. In order to combat it, I don't keep up on the news. I can handle a fictitious plot, but when it comes to real life and death, I become paralyzed in fear.

This story was way too close to home. My heart grieves for that little girl's family. They are in my prayers. I have a ten year old daughter. I don't know what I would do if something happened to her.

The man, who now has been arrested for the murder, attempted to first get in to a school in the neighborhood. He made it into the foyer of the school, but the doors were locked, and the staff wouldn't allow him entry. Thank you, God, for school staff that take their job seriously. Police were called because of the suspicious person, and 50 officers surrounded the building. They later caught the man hiding in a creek a few blocks away.

This school was my daughter's school. She goes there once a week for gifted classes. Tuesday is not her day for classes so thankfully she wasn't there. She did have friends that were there under lock down. They pulled the shades, turned out the lights, and hid.

When you hear about something like this happening, the natural desire can be to hide or run. Yesterday I wanted to tell Ariel she would absolutely not be going to the school that day, or ever again for that matter. Something bad could happen to her. I wanted to hold her close and never let her leave the house again. I wanted to build a bubble that would protect her.

Then I got to thinking. I already have that bubble made. It's God. He protects us every single day. He reminded me of all the times He's interfered on my behalf; the times when a car came out of nowhere and yet we didn't get into an accident. God is the best bubble we could ever build.

This isn't a promise that bad things won't happen to us. But there is a promise that He will be right there holding our hand, giving us the strength to endure. While I would hate to see my child go through a painful situation, I would hate it even more if I decided to play God and tried to protect my child in His place. Failure would be evident.

Faith is the demonstration of what you really believe. Do I believe that God loves my children more than I do? Do I believe He has their lives in His hands? Do I believe in His will? Absolutely!

While I'm afraid, I will still put my trust in Him and put one foot in front of the other. I will not hide or run or live in fear.

I won't put my child knowingly in danger, but I will allow my child freedom to grow. If that means problems or trials might come their way, I trust God to help them persevere through it. He will never leave their side.

"We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation. And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love. " Romans 5:3-5

"If we don't open ourselves to pain, how can we grow?
If we don't grow, how can we share?
If we don't share, how can God's kingdom flourish?"

Do you live a life where you really believe God can and will come through for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment