Friday, July 8, 2011

Kansas National Guard

For the last several years I've been meaning to make it to the Kansas National Guard Museum here in Topeka with my children. Every time we were set to go, I would come up with some excuse why we couldn't make it. I've been to the Combat Air Museum a few times, and I think that's what was holding me back. The Combat Air Museum is interesting, but it's not really all that exciting for children. It has a lot of planes, but not a lot of hands on stuff for them to touch. I base most of my interest on my kids, and how they would like it. If the Combat Air Museum was free, I think it would be more of a draw to get me and my kids there. I'm very careful with how I spend my money.

The Museum of the Kansas National Guard is open to the public from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday. The museum is located at 6700 S.W. Topeka Blvd., (the main entrance of Forbes Field).


I was pleasantly surprised this time. The National Guard Museum is FREE and it was VERY entertaining for my children. There were so many things to look at. They really enjoyed running through the field from the plane to the tanks to the helicopters. The fact that it held outdoor exhibits is very helpful. Sometimes a museum where kids are not allowed to touch things can get very stuffy. If you know what I mean...






I'm certain my children's favorite part was the hands on table inside the museum. They had lots of clothing the kids could try on, and even a rocket launcher the kids could pretend to shoot with. There were a couple older gentlemen who worked there that were extremely helpful and friendly with us. They explained the purpose behind each item, and made sure the kids were dressed properly. It took a long time before we were able to tear ourselves away from the table to see what else the museum had to offer.







If you're a fan of Mash, you'll love this. They had an authentic replica of the doctor's tent on Mash. I personally have never seen the show, but I still found the tent fun to look at. It also had a special button you could push to play the theme song. The kids loved that feature!



Something that really made it interesting for the children was all the manikins. Everywhere you looked they were dressed in clothes and ready for action.

The museum was jam packed with stuff. I would really enjoy another visit where I can take my time reading all the info and looking at all the paraphernalia.


It was a very educational day!

No comments:

Post a Comment