Saturday, March 12, 2011

You Are Special

One of my favorite children's books is "You are Special," by Max Lucado. It's the story of Punchinello trying to fit in with everyone around him, not realizing where his true value comes from. If you haven't read it with your children, you should! Or even if you don't have children, pick it up and read it for yourself. The best part of the story is when Punchinello finally gets it. Eli the woodcarver tells him, "You are special because I made you. And I don't make mistakes." When it finally sunk into his heart the dots fell to the ground around him because he no longer needed them to be like everyone else. He was an individual and loved by the man who created him.

I believe that we need to be constantly reminded of that love that God has for us; that no matter what we've done, or do, nothing can change His love for us. God made us, and He made us exactly the way we are supposed to be.


Sometimes we need to be God's hands reaching out. I love to remind my friends just how special they are. We all need to know that we're loved and that someone tangible that we can see cares about us.

Yesterday was a day off of school for my children, with beautiful warm sunny weather outside. I gave them a couple options of what we could do for the day, and they each choose the same thing. They wanted to do something special for their friends. They didn't choose a picnic at the park, or a hike in the woods, or anything outdoors to enjoy the weather. We stayed inside and worked on a project that we would later deliver to all our friends.

We started out working on a card to tell each of our friends just how much they mean to us. I know my kids would have loved to do this for many of their friends, but since we would later be delivering the gifts, I only allowed one friend per kid. It wasn't a hard decision for any of them either. They immediately knew who that special someone was.

I love how each of them put their heart into the project.



After we had finished making our cards, we spent a long time in the kitchen preparing our cookies. We couldn't come to an agreement on which kind of cookie to make, so we made our favorites, snickerdoodle and chocolate chip.


Snickerdoodles are my favorite right now! When Titus and I were first married, each week I would make him a batch of cookies. I kept our cookie jar full all of the time, something he mentioned he would really enjoy. It's only been recently that I've been trying to continue his request.

They taste so good hot out of the oven!

It wasn't until later in the afternoon that we finally put our entire gift together. We delivered all the cookies, and had fun handing them out to all our friends. Except for Gabe's friend, everyone was at home and even outside in their front yard as if they were waiting for us to come. It was an extraordinary day! It makes you feel so good inside to do something special for your friend, who you love and care about.

If you don't know it, You are Special! I hope you fully grasp that today!

No comments:

Post a Comment