Monday, March 7, 2011

Growing Wall

In our home, if you look really closely on our kitchen wall by the back door, you will see some markings penciled on it. I like to affectionately call it our "Growing Wall". Around the same time each year, I bring my children over to the wall and measure how tall they've grown.

When the kids are complaining about sore arms and legs, I usually smile real big and tell them, "Maybe you're growing today!" This always excites them and they run to our wall and ask to be measured again. We normally only mark it twice a year, but much more often we will stop to see their progress.

The wall has nothing fancy on it, just markings with names and dates, and hanging right over the top of it all, is our Johnson Family Tree. The wall is so ordinary in itself, but holds such immense meaning to me. I think it will be awhile before I'm able to paint over the markings, or I'll have to rewrite them on a fresh coat of paint someday.


I really wanted to capture the wall in a picture that showed just how priceless it was, but alas it's in a odd corner of the room, and impossible for me to photograph. It's so much fun to gaze upon it and see how my children are so different than each other. I love to compare their sizes with their ages and see who's going to grow to be the biggest. It's fun to picture my family off in the distant future.

This is the best diagram I could come up with to show the similarities and differences in my kids heights.
I have always been fascinated by the theory of doubling the height at two years of age, and it will predict your child's adult height. It's not an exact measurement; you would need to give leeway of two inches up or down. When I look at my own kids, I can see that it might work out.

Gabriel's height at two was 36inches, so that would predict him to be exactly 6 foot. I think it's very possible. I know if you just take Titus and me into the equation it might not seem so, but when you factor in relatives, it's very likely that he will grow to be that tall. I really look forward to the day when he passes me in height.

Ariel's height at two was 33inches, so that would predict her to be 5'5." Titus and I are both 5'6", so that also seems very possible.

Zech, at age two was 32inches, giving him a adult height of 5'4." He has always measured on the smaller side his entire life, even in utero. They wanted to induce me very early in my pregnancy with him because of small measurements. After looking a second time at his measurements, they found that he has short legs. He gets this from his father. For Zech, I like to cling to the hope that we will be adding two more inches on, giving him a adult height of 5'6", just like his daddy. I would be very happy to see this happen.

No matter what size my children are, I will love them all the same. "Neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:39. This is said so perfectly for a mother's love too. I don't believe there is anything my child could ever do to make me stop loving them. God put us together for a reason, and I am so blessed to share my days with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment