Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Goodbye, Facebook

God has been busy with me the past few months. Or maybe, I've finally been busy listening to Him. I knew I wanted to make some changes in my life; I just didn't have a plan yet, or a bigger picture of what it needed to be.

I have gotten so focused on things that are not really important. When I come to the end of my day, and see what I've accomplished, I've found the things I did do, are not the priorities I want for my life. And the scarier thing that I've figured out, I'm not really living. I think I'm just trying to survive day to day. That has to change right now!

For the past month, our pastor has been speaking a series of messages entitled, BE.

What are we being?

People who experience the greatest levels of personal satisfaction in their lives... have the strongest sense of their own personal identity.

Can you honestly say, "I know who I am?"

God made you to be someone.

"Before I shaped you in the womb, I knew all about you. Before you saw the light of day, I had holy plans for you." Jeremiah 1:5 (The Message)

3 Choices we make shape who we are:
1)What I choose to believe
2)Where I choose to belong
3)What I choose to become

What are you reaching for?

"Don't get me wrong, I haven't arrived. But I can tell you that Christ has arrived in me. So I'm going to keep leaning forward and keep reaching for the prize. I'm not there yet, but I've leaving the past behind and I'm focusing on what God has ahead for me. I am going to keep my eyes focused on the prize of becoming just like Jesus." Philippians 3:12-14

1) Reaching is different than wishing or dreaming. Reaching is an active verb.
2) Your Reaching will define you.
Reach for the one thing that will pull you forward.
"A wise monkey swings from branch to branch." -Sometimes you have to be willing to let go of one branch before you can swing to the next.
3) Reaching requires a plan!

Smart Reaching
S
- Specific (What does it take... to get what I am reaching for?)
M- Measurable (Are you meeting it?) 2-5 goals are all you can handle at one time.
A- Attainable (Is this realistic?)
R- Record it (Do I have the courage to write it down?)
T- Timely (Confine your plan to weeks, not days or months)

This was a lot of good information, and it has had me thinking for weeks now. Two questions have been running over and over through my head, "Do I really know who I am?", and "What am I reaching for?"

I don't believe I have a good answer for either question yet. I'm going to be spending some serious time going over that, praying and thinking. What I do know right now, my priorities need adjustment. It's one thing to know in your head what you want them to be, it's another thing to have your life actively doing it.

In the past few months, I have spent WAYYYY too much time on the computer. When the weather starts to get cold outside, I tend to hibernate. It's okay to an extent, but I've taken it too far. I only have two more years with my youngest son before he starts kindergarten, and I don't want to waste anymore of it. I realized last week that I was just surviving the winter, waiting for summer vacation to arrive so I could spend all my time with my children.

What about today? This morning?

I want to have goals, and things to be reaching for.

I don't want to get to the end of the day and feel like all I did was waste my time. I have nothing to show for it, except for a clean house. That's all well and good, but not what I want my life to revolve around.

In order to do the things I want, I have to cut something out. There isn't room or time in a day for me to adequately take care of all my plans. My goal for right now is quality time with my son. He is my number one priority for how I should be spending my time during the day.
I love blogging! I have found it to be extremely helpful for myself. It makes me stop and focus. What do I want to be saying to people? I want it to have meaning. I don't want to fill my blog with useless information. I think its fun to have some posts about nothing. But I have decided that each week, I want to have one post that is God directed. I'm going to pray about it, and write whatever He puts on my heart. I've been trying to do this for awhile now, and I think I've kept at it pretty well.

The biggest thing that God has been showing me over the past couple months is about Facebook. Why do I feel that I need it so much? What does it actually do for me? I think its fun to read what my friends are up to. My main thing that I love about it is knowing things. I would miss out on so many details of everyone's lives. Is that so bad?

God showed me that I really don't need Facebook. In fact, I would probably be better off without it for awhile. I need to focus on myself, and learn who I am, and who I want to be, rather than who I feel like I should be for other people.

So, until I feel like I've adequately found myself, I'm taking a break. It's not a break because it's harmful or bad for me. I just feel like I need to get my priorities straight, and follow more what I feel like God wants me to be doing. I need to get rid of the distractions in my life, and things that keep me from focusing. For me, Facebook is a huge distraction. I can get so caught up with everyone else's life, that I forget I need to be living my own.

Since I will no longer be able to post a link of my blog to Facebook, I've added a "Like" button for each post that anyone can share. And for people who only checked my blog through the links I posted on Facebook, please feel free to check my blog at anytime. I try to have a new post a few times a week.

My blog is something I feel very strongly that God has directed me to do. I pray that I will grow closer to Him as I continue to obey what He asks of me. I want to be who God has called me to BE.

No comments:

Post a Comment