Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Happy 29th Birthday, Titus!

keyboard and mouse birthday cakeGod has blessed our family so much with Titus. He is a wonderful husband, father, and friend. I don't think there is ever a day that goes by that I don't thank God for Titus. God knew exactly what He was doing when He brought the two of us together.

I remember the first time I saw Titus. We were both sitting in Geometry class our sophomore year, and the teacher was handing back our latest test we had taken. Everyone did very poorly, "except for Titus. Of course, he did great." Everyone in the class turned to look at the boy the teacher was talking about, and I for the first time, caught a glimpse of my husband.
The boy I fell in love with...

I remember when he spoke to me for the first time. It may have only been online, but I remember how excited I was to finally be talking with the boy I'd been so closely watching at my school.

I remember the first time he asked me out. We were walking home from school together, and he asked me again if I wanted to go to the homecoming football game. I made some excuse, but he was persistent. He didn't care if he had to meet my parents. He wanted to hang out with me.

I can remember the first time I held his hand. My heart was racing, and I knew my life would never be same again.

I remember our first fight and how hard it was to watch him walk away so sad. I remember apologizing and running away crying, wondering if he would follow me. Then I was so happy to see him tapping on my car window, knowing he had actually followed.

I can remember the first time our knees touched, the first time we hugged, the first time we kissed, the first time I knew I loved him.

I remember all the poems he wrote me, and the words of love he told me, knowing I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him.

I remember when he asked me to marry him, and he put the bubble gum ring on my finger. I remember a few months later getting a real diamond ring out of the bubble gum machine, and him getting down on one knee, telling me he loved me, and would I spend the rest of my life with him.

I remember our wedding day, almost 10 years ago; he looked so handsome in his suit, with his dark hair and blue eyes. I remember as we said our vows it was his eyes that were full of tears and I wiped them off his cheeks.

I remember the first time we held our new baby girl, and how happy and proud we were to be parents for the first time.

I remember our first Christmas together, and how Titus lost his job. I remember the anxiety and the fear that we had about how God was going to provide. Then I remember waking up Christmas morning and opening my Christmas present from Titus a box of chocolates and the movie "It's a Wonderful Life" and then knowing without a doubt that day how wonderful my life truly was.

I remember it was almost a year before Titus found another job. He trusted God and the results were amazing. He started out in a temporary position and moved up gradually to where he is now.

I remember surprising him for his birthday and taking him to a hotel for the first time. He had no idea what was going on.

I remember going through some really tough times wondering if we were going to make it, but knowing still at the end of every day there is no man I've ever loved more.

I remember trying to have another baby, and how excited we both were to say, "I'm pregnant again!"

I remember seeing significant spiritual growth in Titus, and knowing each day that I could trust him to become the spiritual head of our household.

I remember buying our first home together. We looked at house after house, and we couldn't find that perfect place we wanted to raise our two children. It was after six months of looking, I can remember walking to the front door of this yellow home, and before I even set foot inside, tears came to my eyes because I know I was walking into my home. I remember praying together and figuring out what we were going to offer on that house. We both cried tears of joy when the call came saying it was ours.

I remember hearing about promotions Titus was getting at work, knowing that someone else out there knew and appreciated my husband just as much as I do. I've always been so proud of him and his accomplishments.

I remember watching Titus hold his first guitar, and seeing his face light up as he explained the different chords to me, and having him show me the calluses that were forming on his fingers.

I remember when he played and sang his first song just for me, and how hard it was to keep myself from crying out loud. "I'm going to take you by surprise, and make you realize, Amanda. I'm going to tell you right away, I can't wait another day, Amanda. I'm going to say it like a man, and make you understand, Amanda. I love you."

I remember all our fights and arguments, all our disagreements, and knowing at the same time that I hate you... I love you. I remember all our times making up too.

I remember our honeymoon that we took 5 years after our wedding, spending those 10 days with him in the Caribbean, wondering how could life be this good? Am I dreaming?

I remember all the times he put his strong arms around me, knowing it would be okay because he was there with me, even though sometimes my heart was breaking.

I remember the inside jokes we have, the laughter we share, the games we've played, the movies we've watched, the stories we've shared, the books we've read.

I remember how much we wanted another baby, and I especially remember him holding me in his arms when I knew it wasn't going to happen this month. Then I remember him holding me when I found out it was really happening, and we were going to be parents again for the third time.

I remember him taking care of me all the times I've been sick, calling the doctor when I needed it, taking care of the kids so I could sleep, cleaning the house so I didn't go crazy.

I remember all the dinners he makes me because I'm too tired to cook. He's had a long day himself, but still he never complains. He always just serves me.

I remember the late night ice cream runs, or the trips he takes to buy me coffee. If he hears I want something, he does everything in his power to make it so.

I remember the gifts he given me, the dates he's planned, the places he's taken me.

I remember the few days we spent for our anniversary in NYC. Titus knew I always wanted to see "Phantom of the Opera" so why not see it in the best theater possible? He always spoils me.

I remember the first time he sang a song for offering at church, and how proud I was that he could get up in front of everyone and sing. Every time he sings, I get nervous for him and forget to breathe, feeling just like it's me up on that stage. He is always so inspiring to me.

I remember his beautiful hands and the way they guide me. They make me feel so loved and secure that nothing can shake that.

I remember thinking years ago on our wedding day just how much I love him, and wondering is it even possible to love anymore than this? I see now that it was just a fraction then of how full my heart is now. God has given us 10 beautiful years together, and I know that right now my love is going to be insignificant compared to years from now. My love will never stop, or diminish; it can only grow as time goes on. Titus is a part of me, and I am of him.

"And the two are united into one.’ Since they are no longer two but one, let no one split apart what God has joined together.” Mark 10:8-9




The kids planned a very sweet surprise party for Titus. This year his birthday happened to fall on a Wednesday night, so we had church to attend first before our celebration. As soon as we got home, the kids sent him out to the store for some much needed supplies. New Years Eve is coming, and we needed some sparkling grape juice to share. Ariel also said, "Buy some sugar."

When he came home he had three adorable children waiting to SURPRISE him with a party. We had cake, presents, and then watched a Monk episode together. They know how much Titus and I like the show, so they thought it would be fun to watch for him.
The kids worked really hard baking the birthday cake together. They took turns mixing up the batter, and Zech took a turn licking the bowl.



We didn't have 29 candles, so instead we put 5 candles on the cake. One for every member of our family.


The kids had the idea of making a laptop cake for Titus, so this was the closest we could get to it. It's a keyboard and mouse.

I Love You, Titus!! I hope you have a wonderful Birthday!!!!




video

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...