Saturday, October 2, 2010

Zech's 3rd Birthday

Another year has flown by and my little baby Zech, is no longer two. Three years old sounds so much more grown up. I no longer feel like I can say, "Well, he's only two." Giving him the excuse that he's young. Now being three, he should know better than to do certain things or act certain ways. I feel like we have officially said goodbye to babyhood. He's now a big boy, and that brings tears to my eyes.

I really enjoyed looking back over my time with Ariel, and have decided that for Zech I was going to remember all the times God has been there for him. Zechariah has not lived a long life yet, however God has done some very significant things in the few years that we've had with him.

I remember wanting to have a baby so badly and crying every month when I knew it wasn't going to be the month. I cried out to God, and He heard my prayer. In nine months we were going to have a son.

I remember being 10 weeks pregnant, coming home from church on a Wednesday night to find out that I was bleeding heavily. I called and talked with a doctor at the hospital who told me, if I was going to miscarry it was going to happen. There was nothing they could do about it. I prayed to God that night and begged Him, please give me my baby. I want to see his sweet little face. After 7 hours in the ER, and a sonogram I was sent home from the hospital because they couldn't find a reason for the bleeding.

I remember being 12 weeks pregnant and the bleeding came back. This time I went into my doctor's office for another sonogram and found out that the placenta was showing some minor separation. I was told to rest, until the bleeding stopped. God gave me a scripture for Zechariah that I've held onto since then. “You must serve only the Lord your God. If you do, I will bless you with food and water, and I will protect you from illness. There will be no miscarriages or infertility in your land, and I will give you long, full lives." Exodus 23:25-26 It wasn't the part about miscarriages that stood out to me, God said he would give my baby a long, full life.

I remember being 36 weeks pregnant and the doctor saw a sonogram of the baby and said to me, "This is not good." The baby was measuring at the 4th percentile and seemed to have stopped growing. The doctor sent me over to the hospital for another sonogram and possible induction with a NICU stay. God said, "I will give you a long, full life." The baby seemed to have gained two pounds and we were just required to come in for nonstress test twice a week.

I remember at the hospital when I was in labor, the baby's heart rate started to drop. He wasn't handling the contractions and the doctor talked about a emergency C-section. At only 8cm dilated, I pushed the baby out because God said, "I will give you a long, full life." I've never been so relieved to hold my new little baby.

I remember when Zechariah was 8 months old, he got sick. In 10 days time, with a fever staying around 103°-104°, I brought him for a doctor visit once, and to the ER 3 times before they finally ran some tests for me. On that last trip in, he had a fever of 105.1°. I cried the entire way there, and sobbed when I walked in the door telling them they needed to do something for my baby. I felt like he was dying in my arms. I knew he did not have a virus, something was seriously wrong. After several tests, the ER doctor said he was hesitant to call it pneumonia and finally called him out some antibiotics. Two days later Zechariah's pediatrician called with the blood results and said he had a very serious blood infection Streptococcus Pneumonia and needed to be hospitalized. God said, "I will give you a long, full life." I told the doctor, "no, he's doing much better. I think he'll be okay." The doctor said he could stay at home if we agreed to see him that day and get a shot of antibiotics.

I remember for several months after that Zech had to get his blood checked. His platelet count was too high. A normal range of platelets is 150,000 to 450,000 in each micro liter of blood, Zechariah's was 1.3 million, the highest his pediatrician had ever seen. A high or low platelet count can be a disorder of the bone marrow. Zech had his blood checked a couple times a month and each time it would decrease a little. The last time we went in to have it checked the doctor mentioned that next time we would need to talk about testing his bone marrow. It was taking too long for the numbers to return to normal. God said, "I will give you a long, full life." The next visit, his platelet count was in the normal range!

I remember shortly after Zech's 1st birthday, he got pneumonia again. The doctor took it very seriously this time when I came in, and immediately put my little baby in the xray machine, ran blood tests and put him on antibiotics. God said, "I will give you a long, full life." Zech recovered in just two weeks.

I remember when Zechariah was 15 months old he went in for a checkup and the doctor said he was 30% underweight. He was worried if Zech didn't start eating more and gaining weight his brain wouldn't develop right. God said, "I will give you a long, full life." He has slowly gained weight and today is at the 16th percentile. He's on the chart!!


I remember in April of this year, Zech fell off the couch, and hurt his head. I can remember holding him on my lap when he just started throwing up all over the place. I knew something was wrong. He threw up on the way to the hospital and several times when we were in the room and walking in the hallway. The doctor said he got a very severe concussion, and did a CT scan on his head. He was worried that Zech might have had some brain swelling. I remember standing outside the door of the room, listening to my little baby cry, and hearing him hold his head saying"Oww.. head hurts. Owie, head hurts." The couple of hours I had to wait for the results were some of the longest in my life. The doctor came back and said, "I was certain he was going to have swelling. He's a very lucky little boy." God said, "I will give you a long, full life." I clung to that statement that night in the hospital as the tears kept spilling off of my face. But God was there, He promised me.

I remember just last week, as Zech fell off the couch again. His dad held the towel to his head to keep the blood clotting. God said, "I will give you a long, full life." This time I was not overwhelmed, and I knew right away that Zech was going to be okay. However, that didn't keep me from crying as I saw the pain he was in. The doctor held his head down on the bed as she put the 4 staples in. I had to talk to him and show him that he was okay, and it was all going to be over soon.

God has done miracles for my son, and my family. In every situation where we thought something serious was wrong, God was in control. He was never surprised when something would happen, or Zech would get sick, or Zech would fall down. He was always there right next to us, many times just holding me up. I like to think of Zech as my miracle child, that whenever Zech is with me, God is even closer to me. The name Zechariah means, "God has remembered."


As you can see, Zechariah has no fear!

Zechariah's 3rd Birthday Party
Curious George birthday cake
Zech had a Curious George party, one of his very favorite characters.

We had planned a fun party out at the Museum playground, one of Zech's favorite places to visit. However, the rain decided to pour, and the party was quickly changed, the house cleaned, and the guests came to our house instead.

We had the movie playing in the background, and had some George coloring sheets for the kids to color.
banana pinata My friend Cynthia helped me make an AWESOME George piñata. But when he was all done, around 15 hours or so later, and we had painted him, I just couldn't bear the thought of kids beating him with a bat. I quickly threw this banana piñata together.






Aunt Stefanie was the one who finally got to break the piñata. Not in the way you would think though. It was tough enough that it didn't crack, it actually broke off of the string that it was hanging from.
Titus just tore into the top and spilled the candy onto the ground.


Who needs a handful of candy? Zech was really excited because he got 3 smarties!

Before we headed back into the house, our wonderfully dressed "Ted" informed us all that he had purchased some bananas for all of us to eat. But unfortunately George was a little too curious, and found them. He hid them all in the basement, and Ted needed us all to go downstairs and find them. We had 30 bananas hiding!!

banana hunt
Zech was hilarious with his birthday cake. We could not keep him from licking the icing on the side that was facing him. I made sure to cut him that piece later.



Zech was pretty funny with his gifts too. He was only interested in the "wrapped" gifts. He didn't want to have anything to do with the gift bags. I think Zander actually pulled the presents out of a few for him, or I forced his hand at opening them. Talk about a funny kid! I remember that happening at a 1st birthday, but not a 3rd birthday!


The boys are great friends, at least as good as they can be at this age. I loved how all three boys were wearing red shirts. Unfortunately Zana had already left the party and didn't get to sit on the step with the boys.


Saying Goodbye! Mark was leaving the next day for 3 1/2 weeks in Mexico. We made sure to plan the party on a day that Mark could come. Zech is already missing him too, and it's only been 1 week. Every morning he asks me, "Mark's house?"




The kids were off of school on Zech's birthday and Titus took the day off of work so we could spend all day together as a family. Our first fun activity was taking Zech to the mall to do the Bungee Jump. He loved it! You couldn't actually say he jumped though. He just hung there and the lady would pull the straps hanging on the bottom of him.


After a nice nap, we took our party to the Museum grounds. The rain wasn't going to ruin Zech's real birthday!

curious George costume Zech is not always the most cooperative child when it comes to taking photos. You kind of have to con him into it, or bribe him with things.



I love my husband all the more for dressing up like Ted, the man in the yellow hat. He is always such a good sport and has dressed up for several parties in the past.



Curious George Man with yellow hat costume It was very difficult to get a smile out of Zech for a photo. He usually will say, "No pictures!" I was pleased to get his many different faces.

Curious George Man with yellow hat costume







Zech has got such a great daddy!!

And he says, "yay, I'm finally out of that ridiculous costume my mother made me wear!"










I love you so much, Zechy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...