Monday, August 16, 2010

Ward Meade Park

One of my favorite places to go in Topeka is Ward Meade Park. I love to walk through the grounds and smell the beautiful flowers, or stop and have a tea party at the gazebo. But I especially love the Potwin Drug Store, affectionately known to my family as the Soda Shop. They have a real working soda fountain where they make the most wonderful tasty treats.

Ward-Meade Park
124 NW Fillmore Street
Topeka, Kansas 66606
(785) 368-3888

Admission free
Grounds open 8 AM - sunset
General store and drug store open on
Monday - Saturday: 10-4 Sunday: noon - 4

On a hot day the ice cold vanilla flavored phosphate drink is my beverage of choice. My kids always like to choose the sarsaparilla and they like to keep the old fashioned bottle it comes in. The drinks taste wonderful, but I think the fun part is sitting at the bar, watching our friend Dee mix the drinks on the old fashioned soda fountain. We've been visiting her for years, and no one makes them quite as good.



This weekend we took a special trip to get some ice cream. This was a first time trying the ice cream drinks for us, and we were not disappointed. I loved my strawberry ice cream soda, and Titus enjoyed his butterscotch malt. The kids each got Pepsi floats.


The decor inside the drug store is very fun and old fashioned. They have a jukebox, and several different types of medicine in a cabinet to check out. Zech enjoys stepping on the old fashioned scale. Sometimes we let the kids look through the older brands of candy and choose a piece to take home.




The scenery is beautiful there, and the buildings are fun to look at. They have guided tours of the buildings at 10AM, 12PM, and 2PM each day. The cost for the tours is Adults: $4.50 Seniors: $4 Ages 6-12: $2 . We have actually never taken our kids on a tour, but I remember it being interesting when I was a kid. We've always just enjoyed walking around the grounds and visiting the general store and drug store.


Visiting Ward Meade Park is always a winning situation for my family. As you can see from the photos, sometimes there are a few tears shed when we are forced to go home.


I can't wait for our next trip to the Soda Shop. Maybe it will be in the winter time where we will have some refreshing cups of hot cocoa. It's a very tasty stop in Topeka!

No comments:

Post a Comment