Friday, June 11, 2010

Topeka Treasure Hunt 2010

You will never hear me saying, "There's nothing to do in Topeka!" I always find fun stuff to do here, and find myself privileged to be a part of this city. I think most people just don't know what Topeka has to offer. This is a new activity we're doing this summer, The 2nd Annual Topeka Treasure Hunt! We're proud to be a part of it. The hunt is a fun way to explore the city, and find some unique locations throughout Topeka. If you'd like to join in on the hunt, you can stop by the Visit Topeka office at 1275 SW Topeka Blvd. You can pick up your free treasure packet there, along with the first clue. Each location you stop at has a treasure box holding your next clue. At each stop you need to take a photo, which you can place in your free album that comes in your packet. The Treasure hunt will need to be completed by July 19th!

If you don't want to spoil the hunt for yourself, you'll want to stay away from my blog for the next couple of weeks. I'm going to be posting all the clues, with our picture at each location. The kids and I are really excited to be going on this hunt. Gabriel knows he's going to especially enjoy it, because for the past couple of weeks he's been sending our family on hunts around the house.

















We will be doing some more hunting over the next few weeks, so tune in here next week for more clues and photos! I think we're off to a great start!

-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`

We couldn't wait to get started on our hunt again. The kids and I had so much fun yesterday gathering our clues that we wanted Titus to be able to join in on the fun too. What a trip we had! This location we had never even heard of, so we definitely didn't know how to find it. I got some directions from Google Maps which didn't work out very well. After driving around for an additional 20 minutes in the neighborhood, we finally stumbled across the place. We explained our trouble to the owner and found out that apparently there had been a road that went over the railroad tracks, about 5 YEARS AGO! Google needs to update!


This man was very nice! We told the kids they could pick out an ice cream treat, only to find that they don't take a debit card. I dug through my purse and pulled out all the change I could find, which happened to be exactly what he was charging us. It was very sweet of him. He said kids just have to have some ice cream on a hot day.




Our next clue is only open Monday - Fridays, so the hunt was over pretty quickly today. That didn't stop us from having fun though! Titus grew up in north Topeka, so he took us on a trip around his old neighborhood. We got to see the house he lived in, his elementary school, and even the house where the dog lived who took a bite out of his foot. Then we traveled on to Garfield Park, were he used to play as a little boy. This even brought back memories for me. They still have one of the older roller slides. What fun we all had there! Let me just say, as an adult I weigh a lot more than when I was a kid, so that slide HURTS YOUR BUM!



The kids really enjoyed riding down with Titus and I. Maybe it was because the slide goes much faster when a heavier person is sliding down. Poor Zech got left a little behind too!




That's my man showing off for me!


We had a wonderful afternoon together!

-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`

What can I say but, we're addicted! The kids and I can't wait to keep on hunting for clues. The only thing that stops us each day from finishing is the business hours of the places we need to visit. We've been exploring many spots in Topeka we would never have thought to find. Today we made it to the half way point. We're very proud of ourselves! We are on clue 8 of 15. We're having so much fun and everyone around us is growing tired of hearing so much about the Topeka Treasure Hunt. If only they would join in, then they might understand what all the excitement is about!





What impressed me the most about today's clues; Ariel knew the answer to this one immediately. I had no idea, and definitely would have needed the internet to research it further. As soon as we left the office of the previous clue, Ariel blurted out the answer, and she was right!





A little side note on our treasure hunting... this weekend when we bought our ice cream treats at Porubsky's, I cleaned out my purse of change. I had nothing left in there. This clue happens to take place downtown where you need to feed the meter. It seemed like we were out of luck at first, but then I remembered that just before we left to go treasure hunting, I added a load of laundry to the dryer and just happened to pocket a nickel that got washed. God is always good! We were able to buy 3 minutes of meter time downtown, run into the place, pick up our clue, snap a few pictures, and run back to the car, all in the nick of time. WOW! I love to think about the awesomeness of God even when it's something as small as a nickel found in a washing machine. God always knows what you need, and when you're going to need it!

-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`

We have all worked so hard on this, and the end is getting near. I think we'll probably be a little sad, but at the same time we're going to have a great sense of accomplishment. I hope the last few locations are extra special places.




Gabe loves posing for the camera! Here he looks a little frightened, but that's just what he wants you to think.



If you won't tell anyone, I won't tell anyone, we found this clue on our second try! We were trying to rush through and didn't read the clue very carefully.

Again, this kid is such a poser!










We're hoping Friday is going to be our last day of clue hunting!

-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`

It's hard to believe it, but we've accomplished the hunt! We had a blast doing it, and I would highly recommend everyone to try it out sometime. Either try it this year, or wait until next summer.


I think this is a beautiful church. Gabe actually asked if we could go to this one instead of ours because it's so pretty here. It's a good thing we don't judge a church by its appearance. The building may be nice, but it's really not the church. We are the church, the people!





Our final clue...

It was so easy to pick our favorite booth at the Farmer's Market. We already had a friend there waiting for us, Janet. If you haven't tried her bread, I would highly recommend that too! We bought some of the pita bread, and I couldn't stop with just one piece. It was wonderful!



We will be bringing our Treasure Photo Album first thing on Monday morning. Maybe we will be one of the first 100 to complete the hunt. We hope so, but if we aren't, we found a lot of good treasures along that way that made the trip totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment